Saturday, January 7, 2012

Yosemite

This Christmas I took my first trip to Yosemite with Dietrich's family for Christmas. 
It was such a relaxing, festive and wonderful experience.  We checked in to the Awahnee Hotel on Christmas Eve eve.  It felt like a rustic oasis amongst the wilderness of Yosemite, and had such a historic feel to it. 

We caught the end of the winter concert, and had a cozy dinner in the bar. The next morning I got to go ice skating!  On Christmas Eve we all attended the legendary Bracebridge dinner.  I had heard this was a very formal  medieval dinner show, and didn't quite know what to expect.  It was absolutely magical.  The talent and decor was amazing, we felt like we were transported to the 17th century.  The food was  delicious, but what I was most impressed with was the beautiful message it sent about giving thanks, remembering loved ones, and opening doors to all walks of life.  It was also really fun to get dressed up.  It seemed the perfect opportunity for red lipstick and I used this tutorial to do my hair (didn't quite achieve the same look but it was inspiring nonetheless).
Dietrich looked handsome as always!
 I snuck this picture of our table before the show started.
And here we are after the dinner posing in front of the stage like good tourists.
On Christmas morning we opened presents.  Dietrich got a waterproof camera for his fishing expeditions, and I got a fabulous cabin bag for traveling.  After a relaxing morning we bundled up and set off on a hike to Vernal Falls.
It was almost completely frozen, but still a sight to see.
Here we are at the top of our hike.  We had to climb a lot of stairs to get there!
After our hike we went out to Christmas dinner at the Lodge at Yosemite. 
 They had some amazing pictures of Yosemite, and I got to talk to Jim's friend Craig (a very talented photographer) about photography and cameras.
 On our last morning, Dietrich and Debra accompanied me to the ice rink again.  I loved sharing the experience with them.  Here we are bundled up on our walk to the rink.
Yosemite was fabulous and I am so grateful to have the memory of it.  Thank you Jim and Debbie!!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment