Thursday, April 5, 2012

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup



Inspired by this post over at A CUP OF JO, I decided to make tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner last night.  I've actually already made it twice since its posting, because that's how we roll around here. 
The savory grilled cheese recipe supplied by Kate from {Wit & Delight} is absolutely fat-fully, delicious, even on gluten-free bread.



The first time around, I made the tomato soup recipe verbatim, except instead of tomato croutons, we had brussels sprout croutons (my office had a fresh delivery from one of our farmer clients).  It was very yummy and fresh tasting, but took a little longer than I hoped for on a weeknight and I don't think I let it churn in the food processor long enough.  I would also recommend deseeding the tomatoes if you go this route. 


So, when Dietrich asked me to replicate the dinner last night I opted to use my own tomato soup recipe, or lack thereof.  It's so simple and it's probably been made a million times, but I am very proud of it as I made it on my own without a recipe and I rarely cook like that.  Here's the recipe - and I apologize for the lack of precise measurements:

Olive oil
1/2 of a large onion
1 28 oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes
Garlic granules
salt
Red wine
Whole milk
Ricotta cheese - (you can make it fresh like Shoko!)
Basil

1. Saute chopped onion in olive oil in your soup pot for about 5-7 minutes
2. Add full can of tomatoes and sprinkle generously with garlic granules and salt to taste. Let it come to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes
3. Pour contents into a food processor or blender and let it whirl for a bit until it reaches a consistency that you are happy with.
4. Return mixture to pot on low heat.
5. Pour in half of the glass of red wine that you have been drinking (about 1/4-1/3 of a cup)
6. Pour 3-4 seconds worth of whole milk into the soup.
7. Stir and let simmer another few minutes, add additional seasoning to taste.
8.  Serve with a heap of ricotta cheese, fresh basil and grilled cheese.



Yum :)


6 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum!! My mouth was watering when I read this post. I bet it was delicious! I am going to have to try ALL of this. Best ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah! i made the same thing for dinner the other night, also inspired by joanna's tomato soup post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving her "the best____ you'll ever have" series, very inspiring! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. I am totally impressed by your soup

    ReplyDelete