Friday, May 25, 2012

Journals

5 Year Diary via

When I was in school (high school and college specifically) I always hated writing. Essays were the bain of my existence!  I can remember agonzing over a paper and trying to organize my thoughts into an introductory paragraph, a few supporting detail paragraphs and a conclusion. I would often be so fed up by the time that I got to the conlcusion that I would simply restate the intro paragraph with a few words shuffled around.  How clever of me. And the "grabber" was what really got to me - trying to figure out a witty way to draw the reader into my boring, but organized essay. To say they were cheesey is an understatement.  I wish I had a little collection of them in a coffee table book for good laughs.

Listography via

Despite my struggles with academic writing, I have found it to be incredibly therapeutic in my life outside of school.  I try to start and end most of my days with a bit of it, even if just a few sentences.  Writing in journals has helped me to process some of the more challenging moments of my life and always helps to organize thoughts no matter how profound or mundane (hello list-making). And while I revel in my morning ritual of stream of conciousness writing I also enjoy a good prompt, as long as it's not academic in nature!  As a lover of all of the above, I was enamored with the selection of journals at a recent trip to Bookshop Santa Cruz.  I would love to have a little collection from which I could pull out whichever one I felt like writing in.

For example:

The 5 Year Diary - where you can write a few sentences about your day and see your entries for the same day of prior years.

Gratitude A Journal - The power of gratitude is immense and this journal is chock full of prompts to recognize all that you are grateful for.

One Word a Day - For those who prefer to be breif.

Listography - Your Life in Lists - Prompts to list your favorite movies, your deepest sins, your best purchases, you previous lovers and people you lived with

The Tour Diary - for travel logging.  This is one area that I wish I could be more diligent in.

Happy writing!

6 comments:

  1. I love all these diaries! II think the list one is particularly cool... a great way to go down memory lane.

    I relate to the HUGE difference between writing academically and writing for fun - I am currently facing two large and tedious research papers that I am trying to rip-off like a band-aid and get the pain over with.

    This is not too far off of what usually goes down:
    http://whatshouldwecallme.tumblr.com/post/22661246081/when-i-m-starting-to-write-a-paper-and-i-finish-the

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it would be fun to have an array of diaries and journals to choose from daily. There are so many visually tasty journals to choose from as well as the format of which to write. So many choices!!!! Writing candy!!! :)
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the 5 Year Diary. It's been ages since I've written in one, but I'd love to have something like that to look back on as the years go by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are awesome. I kept a diary when i was younger and then transferred it to my blog. It's a great way to record your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these journals are so inviting! I now want them all! I love reading your ideas, inspirations, and reflections. You and Dietrich are welcome anytime in VA if you feel like an east coast trip! I've had some wonderful art making parties with friends here, and I think you'd fit right in. Jeff and I will be moving to Richmond soon so we'll still be in Virginia for at least another year : ) <3 Anna Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna Jo! I love the idea of an art making party ~ I have often thought of instigating a craft night :)

      Delete