Thursday, July 12, 2012

Before and After - Our Living Room

Before

As I looked through iPhoto looking for inspiration for a blog post I came across some older pictures of our house that we used for an ad on HomeExchange.com.  Dietrich and I had been dating about 6 months when we impulsively planned a 5 week trek around Europe.  We toyed with the idea of doing a home exchange, a la one of my favorite movies, The Holiday.  While a home exchange never came to fruition for us, we now have photos of the house as it were, untouched by yours truly (this was before I moved in).  

After

We have slowly made changes - swapping out older furniture, rearranging, building bookcases and closets, working on the yard etc.  At times, my patience gets the best of me and I feel like we have barely made a dent in all that we hope to do.  Just maintaining our home is a challenge in itself. 

I was reminded of  how much the living room has evolved when I came across the before photo at top. I really admire both looks despite the difference. Before, it had a zen and masculine feel to it, and now it's a bit more neutral and cozy.  Looking at these two photos I'm almost wondering if we have too much furniture packed in as it is now!  Part of the challenge of decorating is finding the right balance between aesthetics and functionality.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Both looks are functional and look nice in their own way. It is fun to change things around periodically and introduce a different air current.
    m

    ReplyDelete