Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The One Block Feast

Image of One Block Feast Contest winners via Sunset Magazine

We were out to dinner with a couple of friends the other night, and they told us about the DIY food kick that they have been on lately.  The list had me salivating.  They have made their own butter, nutella, and a huge bottle of pure vanilla extract.  They promised to have us over soon to sample their latest delectables (I can barely wait).  Their DIY food project reminded me of an inspiring story I read in Sunset Magazine a few months back called The One Block Feast. 

From the website:

"We’re longtime fans of the local eating movement, which champions getting food grown as close as possible to where you live. About a year ago, we took this to its logical conclusion: Instead of a 100-mile or 50-mile diet, how about a one-block diet? We’d raise everything at Sunset, in a backyard-size plot, for a late-summer feast (and a lot of cooking beyond)."

They tried to raise everything they would need for 4 seasonal menus including their cooking fat (olive oil), sweetener (honey) and beverage of choice (wine).  They wrote a book about it, and also challenged their readers to a one-block-feast contest.  A neighborhood in Morro Bay, CA won and their one-block feast was featured in an issue of Sunset Magazine.  You can read more about the project here.  I would love to try this!


8 comments:

  1. This sounds so cool! And go Morro Bay...I love it up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO awesome! Homemade vanilla extract? Never heard of such a thing, but it must be amazing - I'm intrigued. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, apparently it requires quality vodka, vanilla beans an amber bottle and a little bit of time. I really want to try it!

      Delete
  3. Homemade Nutella? I'm salivating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great concept! I'm so curious as to what goes into making your own olive oil. I'm sure it'd be much more authentic than the big-name store brands, which apparently are not all "real." Gotta get those little homegrown brands for the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious about this too! They mention that they researched how to press olives for olive oil - I guess the details are in the book.

      Delete
  5. This is very interesting to me. I want to read the book and find out more about this.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we all lived in closer proximity so that we could try it out ourselves ;)

    ReplyDelete