Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Inspired By: Communal Living


This past weekend my mom was in town, and we had a delightful Saturday afternoon.  

I took her to Patine, where I got a deliciously scented candle, and she got a vintage tin to hold vanity goodies.  We were recommended to go to a nearby Open Studio tour, which we did. To say it was inspiring would be an understatement.  

We arrived at Charles Prentiss' home and studio after a winding drive up a one way road flanked by overgrown foliage.  When we got to the top of the hill there were panoramic views of the ocean beyond blankets of produce fields.  His art was incredible, but what was really inspiring was his way of life.  He lives on a commune (for lack of a better word) with three other families that have all lived there for 30 years. They built the structures themselves, and it is nothing like I pictured communal living.  My mom and I walked around in awe, taking in as much as we could of the scenery, the layout, the idea, the art, and the beauty of it all.  We didn't want to leave! 

I think the video explains it best.


The experience got me fantasizing about trying something like it.  Would you enjoy this style of living, or is it too close for your comfort level?

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! What a fun way to live! And beautiful homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing better than a mom visit :) sounds like you guys had a great time! and i LOVE the idea of living on a commune. i love being surrounded by people, which i think is why i love living in new york so much. if i were ever to retire to someplace quieter, i think this is the way i'd go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The documentary "Happy" touches on communal living; I especially like the feature on Scandinavia. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete